1. President Research Award 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
2. CVCD Excellence Award for the Most outstanding Senior Researcher in Health Sciences including medical, Dental Sciences, Veterinary Sciences and Allied Health Sciences in Sri Lanka, 2014.
3. KSM Life Time Health Research Award and Oration 2012.
4. “Sir Thomas Key Sidey visiting Professor” Faculty of Dentistry, University of Otago, New Zealand, 2013.
5. Visiting Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya, Malaysia, 2015/16
6. Visiting Professor to University of Niigata, Japan, 2005
7. Visiting Professor to Manipal University, India 2016-2018
8. Member Board of Study in Dental Surgery, 2001 to 2015
9. Member Sri Lanka Medical Council, 2015 to date
10. Member Board of Study, Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, 2015 to date
11. Member, Standing Committee for Medical, Dental and Allied Health Sciences, University Grants Commission
1. Councillor for Asia at the International Association of Oral Pathologists, 2008-2012.
2. President Elect: International Association of Oral Pathologists 2014-2016
3. President International Association of Oral Pathologists 2016-2018
4. Dean Faculty of Dental Sciences 2015-2018
5. Founder Director, Centrefor Research in Oral Cancer
6. Chairman Smokeless Tobacco Subcommittee at National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol
Bazarsad S, Zhang X, Kim KY, Illeperuma R, Jayasinghe RD, Tilakaratne WM, Kim J. Identification of a combined biomarker for malignant transformation in oral submucous fibrosis. J Oral Pathol Med. 2016 Aug 6. doi: 10.1111/jop.12483. [Epub ahead of print]
RP Ekanayaka, WM Tilakaratne. Oral submucous fibrosis : Review on mechanisms of malignant transformation. Oral Surg, Oral Med, Oral Pathol, Oral Radiol 2016;122 (2),192–199. doi.org/10.1016//j.oooo.2015.12.018
L.A.H. Jayasinghe, P.M. Peiris, WM Tilakaratne, A.M. Attygalla, R.D. Jayasinghe, M.A.M. Sitheeque, B.S.M.S. Siriwardena. Clinically malignant exophytic lesions in the background of oral submucous fibrosis: report of 5 cases. 2016;122 (2),210–215. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2016.06.001
WM Tilakaratne, Rasika Priyadharshani Ekanayaka, Saman Warnakulasuriya Oral submucous fibrosis: A historical perspective and a review on aetiology and pathogenesis. Oral Surg, Oral Med, Oral Pathol, Oral Radiol August 2016;122, (2),178–191. doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2016.04.003.
RP Ekanayaka, MPB Herath, RD Jayasinghe, MAM Sitheeque, H Amarasinghe, WM Tilakaratne. Intralesional corticosteroids as a treatment for restricted mouth opening in oral submucous fibrosis. Oral Surg, Oral Med, Oral Pathol, Oral Radiol 2016;122, (2) 224–231. doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2015.11.023
Siriwardena BSMS, Jayathilake DSY, Pitakotuwage TN, Illeperuma RP, Kumarasiri PVR3, Attygalla AM, Peiris HRD, Tilakaratne WM. Demographic and Histopathological Differences of Oral squamous Cell Carcinoma; Analysis of 4394 Cases from Sri Lanka. J Clin Exp Oncol 2015; 4:4
PGCL Nanayakkara, WL Dissanayaka, BG Nanayakkara, EAPD Amaratunga, WM Tilakaratne. Comparison of spatula and cytobrush cytological techniques in early detection of oral malignant and premalignant lesions: a prospective and blinded study. 2016 Apr;45(4):268-74. doi: 10.1111/jop.12357
Illeperuma RP, Kim DK, Park YJ, Son HK, Kim JY, Kim J, Lee DY, Kim KY, Jung DW, Tilakaratne WM, Kim J. Areca nut exposure increases secretion of tumor-promoting cytokines in gingival fibroblasts that trigger DNA damage in oral keratinocytes. Int J Cancer. 2015;1;137(11):2545-57. doi: 10.1002/ijc.29636
RMAR Rajapakshe, RWPallegama, PR Jayasooriya, BSMS Siriwardena, AM Attygalla, S Hewapathirana, JU Werasinghe, DK Dias, WM Tilakaratne. A retrospective analysis to determine factors contributing to the survival of patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. J of Cancer Epidemiol, 2015 Jun;39(3):360-6.