Body Donation Programme
This registration has no legal binding. The prospective donors must discuss their decision with the family members and next of kin or executors to obtain their consent. Once the body is handed over it becomes the property of the Division of Anatomy, Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Dental Sciences, University of Peradeniya and no individual will be allowed to view the body.
Immediately after death, the executor should inform the Division of Anatomy, Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Dental Sciences, University of Peradeniya.
If the body is being handed over the same day, it will not be necessary to embalm it. If not the body should be embalmed. Please inform the undertaker to follow the instructions given below;
We cannot accept a donation if
- Embalming should be done only by cutting the Femoral artery in front of the upper part of the thigh. If the body is embalmed by any other method, it will not be accepted.
- No other parts should be cut.
- the deceased person is under 18 years old
- an autopsy has been performed
- organs have been removed before or after the death (except eye removal for eye donation)
- a body has been damaged due to physical injury, extensive surgery or cancer
- there is a history of meningitis, tuberculosis, hepatitis and HIV/AIDS
- more than 18 hours have elapsed from the time of death to arrival at the Faculty (only for un-embalmed bodies)
In some instances a received body will be deemed unsuitable for adequate anatomical preservation. Factor contributing to such cases could include the presence of open wounds, bed sores, decayed tissue, crippling deformities or rarely that our facility has reached the full capacity. In such instances we will be reluctantly compelled to return the body to the next of kin for burial.Certificate of Death (Original)
National Identity Card of next of kin along with a photocopy of same
Handing over of bodies is usually before 2.00pm on working days. For handing over during the weekend, please contact Division of Anatomy, Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Dental Sciences, Peradeniya through above contact details.
Following document must be provided at the donation of the body.
All transportation arrangement and cost are the responsibility of the donor or his/her executor. Following completion of the studies the remains will be cremated by us.
The coffin may be removed after handing over the body. Religious ceremonies will not be conducted while handing over, photography and video filming is strictly prohibited.
If you wish to donate your body:
- Click here for the download of Body Donation form set
- You need to complete and return the body donation form set to the Department of Basic Sciences office during week days from 8.00am to 4.00pm or post it to “Head, Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Dental Sciences, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya.
Once submitting the form set you will receive a registration number and a reference letter.